OxVox Committee Meeting Minutes
Date: Wednesday 28th August 2019. Venue: Oxford City & County Bowls Club.
Attendees: Maurice Earp (ME), Simon Hathaway (SH), Trevor Lambert (TL), Paul Peros (PP), Ali Wolfe (AW) , Michael North (MN), Jemma Hayward (JH).
Apologies Matt Cavill (MC), Wes Harrison (WH).
Start: 7.15pm. Finish: 9.45pm.
1. Minutes of last meeting (5th June 2019)
The minutes of the last meeting were accepted. Matters arising were dealt with below.
2. Meetings with club officials
PP reported on recent meetings with Tiger, Zaki Nuseibeh, and Niall McWilliams involving himself and AW. The mood of these meetings has been positive: there is work going on to improve the situation with Firoka and to progress a longer term stadium solution for OUFC, whether at the Kassam Stadium or elsewhere. We will continue to monitor developments closely. Following the club AGM, PP has pencilled in an early meeting with OUFC Finance Director Tim Davies to clarify aspects of the club’s finances, in particular the terms of external loans.
3.1 East Stand Mural
SH circulated images of design options. Voting on the pictures and design options had closed. This had settled the choice of pictures, but the photo style choice vote was very close between the ‘no effect’ and ‘duotone’ options. After discussion we agreed that SH would produce proposed final layout options to put to a public vote. This would introduce a short delay but this was preferable to ensure the result was acceptable to the maximum number of fans.
AW reported that the crowdfunder balance was now £6,060 before commission. An additional £145 had been received in cash. We thank everyone for their generous donations and the boost provided by £1,000 from Polythene UK is worthy of note.
We agreed to issue a project update shortly.
3.2 Reward Scheme for life members
Two further partners are to be added: TL to draft details for circulation, with help from WH and ME.
3.3 Training ground visits
Following the success of the first visit, a further occasion will be arranged at the club’s convenience and those on the waiting list will be contacted in due course.
SH is creating a template with the aim of producing an issue every 2-3 months, each issue to be sent to members with a printable option for non-email members, and for marketing purposes. Content generation will be key to its success and we will be looking to members, fans, and others for contributions.
3.5 Fenton’s Fight
Tiger has personally donated two signed shirts to the fund for Fenton Tutty, the junior player suffering from leukaemia. We agreed to auction them via eBay (AW to organise) and to pay the shirt costs into the fund as an OxVox donation.
4. Bury FC
We noted the EFL’s decision to remove Bury FC from League 1, announced today. PP had emailed Forever Bury, the Bury FC supporters’ trust, 2 weeks ago expressing our support and we discussed whether there was anything tangible we could do at this point.
We agreed to write an open letter to Debbie Jevans, the EFL Executive Chair, and Nicky Morgan, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, expressing our concerns about the process and the regulatory mechanisms in place, which had been inadequate to prevent this outcome.
5. Trust finances and sponsorship
TL reported that the trust currently holds account balances totalling £12,654. The financial year end is 30 September. Two payments were approved: approximately £300 for sponsorship of Nico Jones (home shirt), and approximately £80 for SSL security certification of the trust website, in addition to the shirts mentioned above under Fenton’s Fight. Polythene UK had kindly taken up a Corporate Platinum sponsorship of value £500 over 3 years.
6. Trust membership
Total membership of the trust was now 1042 including 343 life members and 136 juniors, reported TL.
7. Meetings and match day stalls
We agreed to hold our next match day stall on Saturday September 14 (Tranmere home match). A members’ meeting will be scheduled later in the autumn when considered appropriate. We note that the club has signed up to the national commitment for EFL clubs to hold two fans’ forums a season, and we have requested that one be organised.
8. Any other business
There was no further business and the meeting closed at 9.45 pm.